Saturday, June 20, 2009

Gifts for Macdonald

Krista and I knew we wanted to send gifts with the group going this summer for our teacher, Macdonald. Relationships are SO important in Malawi. And I understand I am representing America. I want Macdonald and his family to know we care about him and value our friendship. It would be very rude to "forget" about him and that would look bad for Americans! So over the last few weeks we have been gathering things for him and his family.

Macdonald sent us a letter asking for money and a camera. Krista was able to find a film camera that would be easy for him to use. Many of the teachers in Malawi have been given VT apparel so we wanted Macdonald to have some too! We got him a hat and shirt.

I thought it would be nice to give him the pictures I took from our trip last summer. I put together a Snapfish mini photobook with pictures from our visit with Macdonald and his family. I got some lollipops and little ball toys for the kids as a special treat!

Finally, Krista and I both wrote letters and sent some money for his education and his family.

As you may remember, Macdonald asked us for money to further his education. I asked Dr. Kelly what program he was doing and she was going to figure it out for me. A VT alumni from Malawi, Ndalapa, emailed us to explain:

"Of course many people especially teachers go to night schools for upgrading so that they can have better chances of doing a diploma or degree. However, the fees are not that expensive unless the night school is privately owned. Many Malawian teachers fail to go to even such cheap schools because their salaries are extremely low. So, I should imagine he is only asking very little so that his meagre salary remains intact for other day to day life activities. But, sometimes people here exeggerate their poverty. You give him what he will needs, but goes on to ask for more! I am not sure how much a public night school would cost these days. Sometimes it varies from one school to another, but its generally very low; possibly not exceeding $100 a year (this is on the higher side)."


One of the students going this summer was nice enough to pack it in his luggage and deliver it for me!

No comments: