Friday, February 1, 2008

Why I chose to go to Africa

First of all, I'm a huge Oprah fan!!!! (BTW, I'm going to see Oprah on FEB 19th!!... but that requires an entire separate blog!) I've watched Oprah shows my whole life and I've seen the work she has done in Africa. Her Christmas Kindness trip in 2002, and of course her Leadership Academy in South Africa are both amazing ways to help others and I could see how much the children appreciated it and how Oprah got so much back from the children's joy. I always knew that was something I would love to do. I enjoy children and love to volunteer my time to help others. But to be honest, I never thought that kind of opportunity would come my way. It was just something I loved to watch on TV and wish I could do.



Last year, I was talking to a friend of mine about her summer plans and she told me she was going to Africa to teach. I screamed "OMG like Oprah!" She told me that it's a study abroad program offered through Virginia Tech. I was very jealous and couldn't wait for her to go on her trip and tell me all about it.



I saw her pictures on Facebook when she returned and I absolutely feel in love. I wanted to go to Africa and have the experience she had! I couldn't stop thinking about and I knew it would be the perfect study abroad trip for me.



I always knew I wanted to have a study abroad experience. These days, I feel likes its almost expected as a college student. I knew I didn't want to be gone for an entire semester, I just wanted to go during summer break. There are study abroad programs literally all around the world and you can find any type of program you want. The options are just endless. I went to study abroad fairs and thought about doing a program with Communication courses so I could get credits toward my major. I was also very interested in New Zealand, Australia, or any type of fun tourist location that I could travel all over the country. I wanted to go someplace that I would otherwise probably never have the opportunity once I graduated. I always had Africa in the back of my mind, but I wanted to explore the different options before I made up my mind. I knew if I went to Africa, I would be missing out on the traditional study abroad experience.



But what I would gain from going to Africa outweighed what I would miss if I didn't go. I kept going back to those African pictures on facebook and I knew I would always regret it if I didn't go. It actually came up in conversation with some of my sorority sisters and one of my closest sisters had actually researched it and was very interested in the program as well. We set up an appointment with the program director to talk with her about it in more detail. My friend, Krista and I talked and learned more about what we would be doing, and got some of our questions answered. We were psyched! Both of us filled out the application and submitted it very quickly. We both wanted to go so badly. It wasn't very long before the director told us "I read both of your applications and yes, both of you are accepted. You're excellent candidates."


Krista and I were so excited!! We were telling our other sorority sisters about Malawi and another sister, Sarah seemed really interested. She applied shortly after and was accepted too! Three Zetas are going to Malawi! I think Sarah told one of her friends about it, and shes going also. The word spread quickly!!! Below are two pictures of Sarah, Krista and me. We are all in Zeta Tau Alpha and going to Malawi together. We call ourselves "Malawi sisters"!





As you can tell, It was a difficult decision because there were so many wonderful study abroad opportunities and it was hard for me to make up my mind. Even though I haven't gone yet, I already know I made the best decision! I am so excited for the experience of a lifetime! I get a lot of different responses when I tell people about my trip. Some are very supportive, and others voluntarily tell me their disapproval, asking why I couldn't just go to a European country. I sometimes feel like I have to defend myself, but I know that a European study abroad wouldn't give me the same experience as Malawi. Although my impact will be small, I feel like I will be able to make more of a difference in Malawi than just bar-hopping in another country. It's very important for me to do something that makes an impact and helps other lives, especially children.

No comments: