Friday, February 1, 2008

Why I decided to blog...

I'm new to this blogging world, but I'm taking a Media Writing course right now and my professor encouraged his students to start a blog. I wanted to avoid blogging about "my life" because I thought it was to broad and boring. I have been looking forward to my trip to Malawi for months, and I thought blogging would be the perfect way to document my trip from the very beginning and a great memory I will have forever. I also want to have this blog as a resource for the students participating on this study abroad in the years to come.

Most of the exciting posts will be when I'm actually in Africa, so I was concerned that I wouldn't have enough to write about before my trip. I started making a list, and I'm not worried anymore! There is plenty to write about and I'm very good about rambling on about my thoughts and concerns. Scholarship applications, travel clinic appointments, the African studies course I'm taking, and of course the never ending question about what to pack! There's a whole world of supplies out there my mom and I are learning all about. There's special underwear thats perfect for the African climate...who would have thought!

I'm hoping I will use this to write down and remember all of my conversations and suggestions I get from friends about Africa. I tell people all the time about my upcoming trip to Africa, and I always get some kind of response with suggestions, hints or stories about their trip or someone they know who went to Africa. Some are fun and encouraging, others are not. But I'm open to hear about the good, the bad and the ugly trips to Africa! I understand I need to educate myself about the diseases and the other dangerous things in Africa. It won't do me any good if I ignore it and don't teach myself how to be safe and healthy. There's lots of little things that you wouldn't even consider when you live in the US, but in Africa, its very important in order to stay healthy. That's why this blog will be a great way to write down all of the information I gather over the coming months.

I will tell you now... I'm a very busy college student, and I will not have time to edit my blogs for grammar and punctuation. You will see lots of errors...please don't judge! I promise that my papers I turn in for class are much better written! This is fun! I'm excited about my new blog! However, as I'm writing I feel kinda of silly because I'm not really writing to anyone but myself! haha
Mom and dad- I'm expecting you to be my most loyal blog site viewers! That means that what I'm about to say is hinted towards you....and anyone else who randomly find this on the web!!!
I need a better title! I'm trying to think of something fun and catchy! "Lexi's African Adventure" doesn't quite sound right. Ideas please!!!!!

No comments: