Friday, April 10, 2009

Mail from Macdonald!

I got a letter in the mail from Macdonald last week! It was in a sealed envelope. I had heard that was impossible to send mail out or in the country because people will steal it hoping for money. So I was very surprised a letter made it!  Krista got one too!  Here it is: 

Back in the Fall I sent him a postcard from snapfish.com. I made a postcard with the picture of his family on one side, and a short note on the other. I only send one because I didn't know if it would even make it. Now that I know it did, I can continue to send him pictures through the postcards. I also attached a photo of  Krista and I in the snow to an email. I wasn't sure  if the computer he uses would be able to see it, but he says it worked! I'm really excited I have multiple ways to keep in touch with him and send him pictures. 

But the real reason he wrote was to ask for money... of course!  He also asked me for a camera? That is a luxury item, not a necessity!  In Krista's letter, he asked for money and a camera too. He's trying to get two cameras out of us?  But then again, what is the harm in asking. 

Macdonald is very well off in Malawi standards. He has a brick house, all members of his family have clothes and shoes, he has electricity, a sink, TV (doesn't work), radio, furniture, and two incomes since his wife is a teacher also. He has four of his own children, and is also taking care of two family members who have lost their parents. 

I think it is great that he wants to further his career, I think he has so much potential. Out of all the teachers at his school, I noticed he was the most dedicated to his students. I wanted to send money for him with the group going this summer, but since he is so well off, I was hesitant. However, I would love to help him with his education. I'm assuming he is trying to become a teachers educator.... teach teachers how to teach. Helping him achieve that would truly be a gift that keeps on giving in Malawi! 

I emailed Dr. Kelly to ask her insight about his request. I honestly have no idea how much his tuition would cost. Dr. Kelly is going to talk to her friends in Malawi to verify he is in a program and find out the details.  She will get back to us. 

MADONNA UPDATE   BBC Article 
Madonna left Malawi last week without Mercy. Malawi rejected her application to adopt a 2nd child. Malawi's law to adopt  requires you to live in Malawi for 18 months. Since Madonna hasn't done that, they wouldn't allow her to adopt. 

I honestly don't know what to think about this whole situation. I see Madonna's side, but then again, I have to respect the Malawi government for following their own laws.  It sure is a mess. I'll ask Macdonald what he thinks about it and let you know. :) 

No comments: