Saturday, March 14, 2009

More rambling about Malawi

WORLD CAMP
Yet again,  I found myself searching for Malawi related things online late one night. I came across  a World Camp program based in Malawi.  There is a 5 week summer program based in Lilongwe were volunteers travel to different villages and set up camp. The camps include activities and classroom structure were HIV/AIDS curriculum is taught.  I would love to do back to Malawi but I don't want to do the exact same study abroad trip I already did. This program seems perfect.  I'm saving my money to try and go the summer after I graduate. 

Anyone reading this ever heard of World Camp? Does it have a good reputation? I need to find out more about this program before I set my heart on it.  If anyone has other suggestions of programs in Malawi, I'd love to hear from you! 

MALAWI NEWS
Krista sent me an article  about the Ex- Malawian president being accused of stealing $11 million worth of donor money.   Their government is very corrupt and Krista pointed out that this is a reason why privately funded programs like the Chibale Project are so much better for Malawi.  The poor villages will never see the money if you donate to the government.  I remember seeing Jaguar cars in the capital of Malawi. The money stays in the capital and those people get richer and the villages get poorer. 

24   
I'm a huge Jack Bauer fan, and in November they aired a special 2 hour "24 Redemption". The storyline relates to Africa and set up the plot for season 7. I haven't watched the 2 hour special yet, but I'd like to download it online sometime.  I'm am watching season 7 episodes now and it doesn't exactly put a positive image on Africa- since the terrorists trying to attack America are from Africa. However, it doesn't necessarily put a positive image of the US government either. I guess I shouldn't be so sensitive, its just good TV.  I can't imagine what my African Studies professor would have to say about this show relating to Africa. He would have a fit.  But I do love watching Jack Bauer save the world!  

This weekend Madonna will be in Malawi! She is going to adopt a 4 year old girl, Mercy (picture below).  This will be her second child she has adopted from Malawi.   Madonna has raised to much awareness about Malawi and done so many great things. Many people have never heard of Malawi, but after I tell them its the country Madonna adopted her child from, everyone goes "ohhh yeah!" 
I know Madonna has adopted two children from Malawi, set up an orphanage there, co-founded www.raisingmalawi.org, published a book and a documentary, hosted  hundreds of fundraisers and I'm sure she has done lots more.  I know it can have its risks and drawbacks, but I think its a good thing that Madonna is using her platform to raise awareness about Malawi. 

AFRICAN REFUGEE 
My friend told me about this African Refugee in Roanoke, VA. Here's the blurb about it: 

Pilot Street Project is a partnership with Refugee and Immigration Services. Together RIS and the Service-Learning Center rent an apartment at Maple Grove Apartments in Roanoke that serves as a community school for the families living there. The Pilot Street Project provides a range of programming for children and adults with the goal of building English language proficiency and assisting the families (90% of which are recent refugees, currently from various countries in Africa) in successfully resettling into their new culture.

Needless to say, I was very interested to learn more. The program arranges a van to come to campus every afternoon (Monday though Thursday)  around 4pm to pick up volunteers. The van drives us to Roanoke and we spend about 1.5 hours helping the kids with their homework. I've gone about 3 times so far and I've had a blast. Sometimes we work with the kids at a community center, other times we go to their home. Each family has a different story, but most of the children speak English, not necessarily the adults.  Although it is very different, just being with the kids reminds me so much of Malawi. My friend goes with me sometimes and we tell everyone we are going to "little Africa"! 

No comments: