Friday, March 13, 2009

Back at School


SCHOOL PROJECTS
One of my sorority sisters was taking an International class and had to select a country for a project. She knew 3 friends who had been to Malawi, so we could provide her with a wealth of knowledge and even some props for her presentation.
At the end of our trip, Dr. Kelly talked about how we become ambassadors for the country of Malawi in our day to day lives. We are raising awareness and educating people about Malawi by simply talking about it. Many people have never heard of the country, and I know her class wouldn't have learned about Malawi if it wasn't for the connection to us. I feel like we are doing our part!

I'm in a media writing class that requires us to work with a client for the semester. The client can be any business or organization that needs Public Relations. Of course, I wanted to do The Chibale Project because of my passion for Malawi, but also because the project is so new, it would give me great experience starting from scratch. Throughout the semester I will have to write press releases, fact sheets, backgrounders, public service announcements, brochures and newsletters. I have already talked to Dr. Kelly and she has helped me get a head start.

MEETINGS-MALAWIAN STYLE
Our sorority has formal meetings once a month where we have to dress up instead of the normal sweatpants. Since Sarah, Krista and I are all in the same sorority, we wanted to formally dress up Malawian style! So the three of us wore our chitenjes (African outfits) to the formal meeting. haha Our sorority sisters thought we were ridiculous! We all got very sentimental wearing the outfits again, we really do miss Malawi!

This year I live in the sorority house with my roommate, Krista and Sarah just lives across the hall. Its so great living with them because we can talk about Malawi anytime we want and we actually understand one another. I couldn't imagine living without them, I need people who share the Malawi passion!

Our sorority house has a daily housekeeper. She is a delight but sometimes you could get caught up in a very long conversation and not be able to get out of it....she is very chatty! We have a bus schedule so if we knew our housekeeper was in the hallway we would leave a few minutes earlier to "chat" with her and still have time to catch the bus. Krista and I realized that it was just like in Malawi!! We left our rooms early each morning to have enough time to talk to Tenison!!

FACEBOOK IN MALAWI
Daniel Chinkhuntha from Freedom Gardens has joined facebook! During our visit, I remember him talking about getting internet at his home for emails, but I didn't know he even knew about facebook! All of us were surprised, but I just love reading his status updates about farming! Its a great way to keep in touch. We get tickled every time he writes on our walls and sends us messages!

Remember when we went to the bar with Annie and we met the police officer and her daughters? Well the two daughters joined facebook too! Sarah had given her information to them and they friended her!
I guess Africa isn't as technologically behind as most people would assume.

REUNIONS
The 7 VT girls wanted to have a reunion and reminisce about Malawi. One night we met for dinner! We talked about Peter, craving Malawian food (vegetable curry and somosas) and how we think about Malawi all the time. Oh, such fond memories we have!

(The VT girls at El Rods for our Malawi reunion!)

Patti arranged a reunion for the whole group in the fall. She invited everyone to her house in Blacksburg for pizza. The North Carolina gang couldn't come, but almost everyone else came. It was great to see everyone in "real life" and catch up. I was shocked to realize that most of the group experienced some type of illness after they returned. Mostly digestive/eatting issues that ended up lasting a couple weeks. How did I get so lucky to not experience anything?? I wish I knew my secret, but its a mystery.

Patti and the Radford group did a presentation to a group of professors and they showed us their powerpoint with some of Patti's videos and pictures. Seeing/watching Malawi things never gets old!

Patti also got "Malawi Chibale Project" t-shirts made for us! I had a great afternoon catching up with the study abroad group!

CHIBALE PROJECT

I am community service chair for my sorority. Part of my responsibility is to plan a holiday service party with a fraternity in December. This year we made blankets for the women's shelter and other service activities. I set up a Chibale Project table for people to donate and we were able to raise over $65!


I AM BECAUSE WE ARE
December 1st is World's Aid Day. Madonna's documentary I Am Because We Are had a special showing on the Sundance channel on Dec 1st. Luckily Amber has the Sundance channel and Tivo'ed it for us. The 7 VT girls went to Amber's one night for another reunion and to watch the documentary. I had been looking for this movie everywhere since before I went to Malawi, so I was glad to finally be able to watch it. Now it is finally online. If you would like to watch the entire documentary, you can see it at Hulu- I Am Because We Are. It's about an hour in a half. I recommend you not multitasking while you watch it. Stop what you're doing and pay attention to these stories. It's beautiful and heartbreaking.

There is also a photography book that I purchased that goes hand in hand with the documentary. The photos do a great job at showing the beautiful land and the people of Malawi. I kept saying " This is exactly what it looks like!" duh... its a photograph! However, I look at the pictures completely different after being to Malawi. Before, all the children would blended in but now I notice each child individually and wonder what their story is. I also notice little details that I wouldn't have picked up on if I had never visited. Things like nsima in the background, the types of trees, the clothing etc.



I thought the documentary & book did a very good job at showing the issues Malawi has, but I just wish they would show some images of how grateful and happy the people are. I know they are suffering and trying to raise money by showing the suffering. But I still wish they would show the dancing and celebrations! Despite their troubles, they are positive people and I think thats worth reporting about.

DID MALAWI CHANGE ME?
I was concerned that after I got back from Africa, I might get one of those stereotypical "there are people starving in Africa" attitudes. I know no one likes listening to people preach about that and I didn't want to annoy people with my "African expertise". Katie (she studied abroad the summer before me) told me... you will tell yourself you won't ask for anything for Christmas and that you will not buy name brands, but the reality is that probably won't last. It's very easy to get back sucked into American/college culture.

I will admit I still splurge on Coach purses (on sale of course), pedicures, and lots of things I really don't "need". I feel guilty about it every time I purchase something. I know that if I sent that money to Malawi, it would go so much farther and help so many people. I am saving money to send over with the group this summer. I want to contribute to Jean's project, the Chibale Project and of course give some money to Macdonald and his family.

I took a Marketing Management Course last semester and I'm taking Advertising this semester. I surprised myself that I was so disgusted with these classes. I didn't want to pay attention because I felt that in life's big picture, this material didn't really matter. The PhD professor spent her career researching advertising/marketing. So much money is spent in the advertising business and I couldn't help but wonder if my professor had focused her research on some type of issue in Africa and the difference her research could have made. I know that is not her interest, so its unreasonable for me to want her to study that. I couldn't believe my reaction to this class. I am becoming one of those "There are starving people in Africa".

I think about Malawi all the time. College life is full of tests and papers. After going to Malawi, I didn't really care as much about a test or paper like I used to. I wanted to focus on raising money for the Chibale Project because I felt like that was more worth my time- it has become my passion. However, I keep telling myself how fortunate I am to be in college and getting an education...unlike so many Malawians.

So yes, Malawi has changed me. And I'm glad it has. I wouldn't want to go to Africa and come back the same person I was before I left. Its very important for me to stay involved and I hope to continue to contribute somehow throughout my life. However, I do have to make a conscious effort around my friends not to bring up Africa stories/facts to the point where I annoy them. Even though it runs through my head all the time!

No comments: