Friday, March 13, 2009

Malawi This, Malawi That

MALAWI IN THE NEWS 
In November, Nightly News reported on Malawi! The government provided a food subsidy program which helped produce record high harvests and reduce starvation. Although this was very good news, the clip gives the impression that no one is still starving in Malawi, but that is very far from the truth. 

OUR SOUVENIRS WORTH HUNDREDS??
My mom came across an interior design magazine with an African theme.  There was tons of zebra print, and beaded animals that looked just like ours!  Except they cost $328!!   I examined them and they are identical.  If we had known they would be so expensive over here, we would have filled up our suitcase! haha just kidding! 

And then I saw them again on Oprah.com  Oprah Store- Beaded Animals

My beaded elephant is mini, and I got him for 550 Kwacha which is less than $5.  I know girls got the large zebras for less than 1000 Kwacha.  We got a bargain! 

MALAWI BOOK 
Author, Shana Burg contacted Krista (my roommate in Malawi and close friend)  after reading her blog. Apparently she is doing research for her next book that is going to be somehow related to Malawi and/or Africa.   She spoke on the phone with Krista one afternoon and asked her tons of questions.  Shana Burg promised to cite Krista in her book and offered to put an ad in the book for The Chibale Project to help us raise money.  Shana sent Krista a copy of her 1st book to read and encouraged feedback.  The book is in the beginning stages, but I'll continue to post any updates I hear from Krista! 

MORE MALAWI BLOGS
I find myself online searching for anything and everything related to Malawi on a weekly basis. I came across some blogs of families who are currently in Malawi teaching at African Bible College.  I really enjoy following their blog and reading about their daily life in Malawi. I miss Malawi, so I live vicariously though them!  Robbins Abroad  and The Stauffacher Family are my favorite! 

MALAWI HOTEL ROOM 
Our friends know about our obsession with Malawi so one of our friends told us about a Malawi Hotel Room they learned about in one of their hospitality classes.  The hotel is in Floyd, VA and each room is decorated differently with a theme about an important person, organization or place in Floyd. I'm going to have to check it out before I graduate! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Congratulations, that beaded elephant is definitely a great deal! Less than 5 dollars, amazing! Good luck with your trip to the Malawi Hotel Room, I hope you enjoy it.