Sunday, March 8, 2009

PICS- Farewell Celebrations

This was our last day at our schools so we had to say goodbye to our teachers and students. Macdonald gave us chitenjes (skirts) as a goodbye present.

Our favorite Malawian, Macdonald!
Whats so special about this picture? Look at the girl SMILING! This is very rare, most Malawians don't smile for pictures.
After Macdonald gave us his present, all the teachers and VT students met in a classroom for a farewell ceremony. The school presented us with another gift.... A Malawian outfit!
Someone drew a beautiful design on the chalkboard wishing us a safe journey back to America. They got flowers, table cloth and chairs... this was a big deal! Notice this classroom has educational diagrams painted on the walls!
Dr. Kelly speaking
Sarah and Lauren with their teacher, Gertrud!

After the ceremony, we went to say goodbye to our class. We handed out little goodies and made friendship bracelets!

Krista helping students make their friendship bracelets.
I went around and helped cut the extra pipe cleaners.
Macdonald made one too!
It was very important to me to hug every student goodbye. I wanted each and every one of them to know how special they are to us. We told them how smart they are, to stay in school, how much we will miss them and how much we loved Malawi. Macdonald took some pictures of us hugging the children goodbye.


This is the little girl who wrote me a letter! Her smile lights up a room and I just loved her laugh. A delightful child and I miss her very much.

Head, shoulders, knees and toes
Krista showing off our Malawians outfits in the MIE courtyard
Okay, this is so funny! I really wanted a group picture with everyone, so I asked the man on the left with the tie to take a picture, so he jumped right in. Oops.. miscommunication! So I took this picture with him in it, and then asked him to take another picture of us!
The whole group (minus Liz who went home early)
Radford got chitenjes from their school too
The VT group

We had a teachers dinner that night at MIE. All the teachers from all 3 schools we worked at were invited to the dinner and allowed to bring a guest. We wanted to thank them for welcoming us to their country. This was a very big deal. Everyone got in their best clothes and made an entrance!


I scanned a copy of the invitation that was given to all the Malawian teachers
Another funny moment. Teddie hand crafted these wooden animals for Dr. Kelly, Patti and me. He insisted I take "snaps" of him presenting the gift! Oh Teddy, he is such a character!

I scanned a copy of the letter Teddie gave us with our gift. In case you can't read it, this is what it says: "Hi Lexi, We would like to express our gratitude to you for sparing that time to visit our home and the vegetable garden on 3rd July, 2008. Indeed you really honored us (the entire family) we hope and ask you to be visiting us whenever you come again so that you encourage our garden work. I with wife Juliet and the children wish you a nice journey back to American and try to remember us in your day to day life. Indeed we shall never forget you. Also, lastly, receive this small piece of gift of a guinea fowl portrait bearing you name. We really thank and wish you all the best. Never forget to email us so that we know about your journey. Teddie, Juliet and children"

Krista and I at dinner
I'm sure I have gotten the point across that Malawians take a lot of time to introduce people and show hospitality. So of course everyone at the dinner (50+ people) had to stand up and introduce themselves to the group. Most people simply stood up and said their name and what they taught. Of course, our Macdonald stood up and made a grand appearance!! His wife (in the front of this picture) was cheering him on! Its complete luck that I took this picture at the perfect time! I miss him so much!
The people around us talked Krista into eating the Malawian way (with your fingers). I'm proud of Krista for being a good sport, but I would have never done that! The germs we had on our hands on a daily basis were gross, but she survived!

Macdonalds wife, me, the other standard 6 teacher, Macdonald, & Krista
We introduced the Malawi Chibale Project to the teachers.

To read the blog that goes along with these pictures, see Have a Nice Journey

No comments: