Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tues July 15-"Have a Nice Journey"

This morning we didn’t have power, but it’s not an issue in the mornings since we have plenty of light. Plus, it came back on in time for me to hop in the shower and get ready. Just want people to realize how often it happens here.

Dr. Kelly heard from Liz last night and she got back on Thursday. Her husband is doing fine and is able to be home since she is there to take care of him. It was not rejection; it was infection, so its actually better that he isn’t in the hospital being exposed to all those germs. We miss her very much but we are glad she is now with her husband.

I think we have taken for granted the beautiful weather we have had on this trip because the last few days haven’t been as wonderful as the first 3 weeks. Its been chilly, cloudy and rainy. We have lucked out that the majority of our trip was sunny because apparently last year it was cold for most of the trip.

It was bittersweet to drive to each school this morning for the last time. We know the bus won’t come down that road for another year and those kids won’t be able to run and scream following the bus waving at us. I will miss that so much.

We arrived at our school and saw all the kids outside. Apparently they let the children go early since they were having a ceremony for us at 10am. We arrived just before the kids left and we asked our class to stay because we wanted to play with them after and we had things to give them. They were glad to stay and wait.

Macdonald and the other standard 6 teacher took us to the back room and gave us each a present wrapped in newspaper. We opened it and it was a beautiful Jatinji (spell?) - which is a very traditional and common apron/skirit like apparel most women wear in Malawi. We were thrilled with the fabric and the gift, it’s a pretty blue and green pattern. We actually really wanted one and heard they might give us one so we are glad we didn’t get one ourselves. We put it on and went outside to show the class. The crowd went crazy- they loved it!!! We took pictures with Macdonald and the other standard 6 teacher. Krista and I were a little taken back with how involved the 2nd teacher was on our last day, he even brought us a watermelon. We told them how excited we were about the Jatinji’s and how much we have enjoyed our visit. We told him we wanted to come back and bring our families. Macdonald said to come back and he will give us land to live on! Now that sounds like an offer I might just have to take him up on! Haha

We left our class as they cheered us on in our new outfits and went to a room that was set up for a celebration.

There was a table, tablecloth, flowers and a beautiful farewell note on the chalkboard. The center of the room had sodas and covered containers. All the teachers from the school, Dr. Kelly and the VT students gathered in the room. We started off with a blessing and then we all introduced ourselves and told the group which teacher we were working with. There was one lady who was in charge of the program she would ask the person who was in charge to stand up and usually there was an awkward silence but then Macdonald would always stand up and get the present or make the gesture. Krista remembered seeing Macdonald's name in the head teachers office under ” social committee chair” so we quickly realized Macdonald had organized most of the ceremony! But I guess at times he forgot so he needed to be reminded! Obviously you had to be there, but it was very funny.

They presented us with wrapped gifts and we all opened them together to find a Malawian top and Jatinji in a flower pattern! A week ago a tailor came to the school and had us stand outside and he “measured” us from across the schooolyard by just looking at us. Dr. Kelly said they would give us outfits so we were curious if they would fit. We left the room to go try them on. Believe it or not, they fit!! My class saw me walk by in my 2nd new outfit and they cheered! This was like Christmas, we were all loving every minute of it! I’m so glad I got
an American style dress from the seamstress because now I already have 2 traditional Malawian outfits. The teachers loved our outfits and told us, “Now you look like Malawians!”

Once we came back in our outfits, a representative from MIE spoke, Dr. Kelly spoke and a Government school member spoke. They talked about how much they value our friendship and appreciated the time we spend with the learners (students). I got the speech on video-its very good! Then Dr. Kelly spoke about how much the VT students are learning and that we will come back different people. Well, I couldn’t hold it together and I cried as Dr. Kelly was talking because she said everything we were thinking.

After the speeches they served us soda and a muffin. I asked the lady what they called the muffins and she told me they were pancakes. I guess pancake/pound cake/muffins/ crepes are all the came thing around here. Dr. Kelly had to leave to go to Malemia to see the uniform presentation, so they all sang a song to say goodbye. Some of the words were “We know that we shall meet again”.

We hung out a little longer with the teachers and they started giving us little riddles. Something about a goat, leopard and maize needing to cross the river. We couldn’t figure it out so she explained it to us but I couldn’t understand her. Macdonald told us we “failed”. Then another lady told us that a train was going to Mozambique to deliver tea and asked us what the train returned with? The answer is rain because you drop the “T/Tea” from train.

There was a lady who used her tongue to make a noise when we were clapping or celebrating something. I asked her to show me and I tried and she just cracked up! Each time someone clapped after that, she would turn to me and want me to make the noise with her! The infamous John Wesley (Radford girls told me all about him) sat next to me and told me the noise from the tongue is pronounced “ulululation”

So many people asked us for our information (address and email) and I wish I had made business cards to carry around with me. It would have saved a lot of time.

We knew our class was waiting so we wanted to join them. I honestly can’t believe they waited during that entire time for us when the entire school already left. I brought pipe cleaners and beads so we showed them how to make friendship bracelets. We told them the bracelets will unite us and will be a great memory of our friendship. They had a great time making the bracelet (Macdonald did too!) and I went around cutting the extra off. I’m terrified the ends are going to poke the kids, so I tried my best to wrap it around.

I put together a “grab bag” of random little things for the children to pick one item out of the bag. There were a few nice items (cards, jacks, yoyos) and then the rest of the items were candy, sponges, balls and popsicle sticks. Of course the kids wanted the nice things, so they would dig deep looking for the best item. It ended up taking forever. It started off organized, but quickly became a pile of children attacking the bag. The teachers just sat there and watched and I tried to calmly ask them to sit in their seats. It was a disaster, but in their defense, kids will be kids. At first they didn’t want the little things because they were searching for the best item but at the end when I could give out handfuls of the candy and little things they grabbed them very quickly. They value anything they can get and hid it quickly so no one would take it from them.

We wanted them to sing for us, so they brought out the drum and we had a short little dance session! The tongue noise lady even came in our classroom to dance with us! I asked the kids if they knew their national anthem and they did, so I videotaped them singing!! The entire time we were in the classroom, the windows were covered with kids peaking in to watch us.

It was past 12noon, so we needed to leave. A student brought us bananas too! I told the kids how special each and every one of them are and asked if they would come up and hug us goodbye. We told them we will remember them always and keep them close to our hearts. We told them to study hard and do well in school.

My 3rd grade teacher stood at her door everyday when the bell rang and always hugged each one of her student’s goodbye. I still keep in touch with her today and will always remember how special those goodbye hugs were at the end of the day. No matter what was going on at home, those hugs represented that someone loved them and cared for that student. I wanted to spread those hugs to the students I have met here. Krista and I hugged all 70+ students goodbye and told them I will miss them, I will not forget them, and I told them how beautiful the girls are and how much I will miss their smiles and laughs. Some of the kids came back around for 2nd hugs! My little friend, Gift, purposely waited to be last! Some of the special girls I really connected with told me they loved me! Mrs. Kettell-those hugs were because of you!

We had planned to visit MacDonald’s family at his home today at 1pm but we asked him if we should go now or later and he said his wife isn’t expecting us until after 1pm, so we better not come before.

We went to our MIE room and no one was there. Krista and I were afraid we missed the memo about something but just ate our sandwiches and rested until 1pm. Apparently since all the kids were gone except our class, the VT girls went to Malemia to watch the uniform presentation.

Macdonald met us and walked us to his home. He lives very close to Domasi Demonstration School. His wife is a standard 5 teacher there so they live in the teacher resident neighborhood. It’s very nice! He told us his children keep asking when the teachers are coming each and every day so they are looking forward to meeting us. He said that his kids stay up late at night reading the ABC mini desk posters we gave him. He has 4 children of his own and he adopted 2 kids. The two adopted kids parents passed away and since they were relatives, he has agreed to take care of them. Macdonald also told us his grandmother and uncle wanted to meet us but they live too far away. His grandmother is 116 years old! Oh my gosh!

We arrived at his house and his little porch was full of plants. We heard music from outside and he knocked until his wife (Miriam) opened the door and greeted us! She was wearing her best outfit and looked beautiful. We came in and saw a little room with a TV and stereo, enough chairs/couches for probably 9 people with embroidered seat covers and a coffee table with a cloth over the food.

We enjoyed meeting both of them and hearing about how they met and their teaching careers. Then the two little 4 year old twins came out. The first boy was very shy, but the other little boy Vincent, wasn’t shy as soon as I showed him my camera he came over to me. I found the little boy I want to take home with me! I have fallen in love with my little Vinny! I played around with him and poked his little tummy and he would giggle. He looks just like Macdonald!

Finally the other children came out to greet us. They were dressed in their nicest dresses and all had shoes and clean shirts. For the most part, this family seemed very well off compared to other people. Their house was made out of brick instead of mudd and they had a computer but it was just used for the music. The children’s names were Lucy, Good News, God Bless, and Vincent. I don’t remember the two adopted children’s names. The older children all go to Domasi Demo school where their mom works. Vincent and God Bless are 4 year old twins and they go to nursery school. They were all absolutely adorable and they told us they wanted to be lawyers, nurses, pilots and a doctor when they grow up.

We looked at some family pictures and since Miriam works at the Demonstration school we saw pictures of the school and Liz was in the background of one of the pictures! How funny!

Miriam showed us the food she had prepared for us and then the children and her left the room. They had nsima, mixed turnips and groundnuts and chicken. Malawians eat with their hands, but they had plates and silverware for us. It was hot so Krista gave the nod that it was safe to eat. I took a very little spoonful of each and it was actually very tasty. Later Krista commented that she thought the chicken was pigeon and since we saw a pigeon house in the backyard, I think she’s right. Well, I was fooled and thought it was chicken. As long as I had a little bit of everything with each bite, it wasn’t bad at all. I was proud of myself for eating it! I thought it was so strange that there were only 3 plates out so they didn’t plan for anyone else to eat except for Macdonald and us. I think that’s the Malawian way.

The children came in to clean the plates. Next we wanted to show everyone what we had brought for them. We brought a big bag of supplies and clothes for the family. Flashlight, skirts and tops, bandanas, 2 bags, calculator, math games, yarn, needles, and apirin just to name a few. So one by one we took each item out and showed them what its purpose was. Krista brought silly glasses and hats for the kids to play with and they got a huge kick out of it! They really did seem thrilled with anything we pulled out of that bag.

We went outside and took a family photograph with us in it! I love the Shriff family!

The children left again (we don’t know why they kept leaving) but the twins and mom stayed. I got Vincent to sing a song and I video taped it. He sang the ABC’s and then a knees song. Without a doubt, the cutest kid in Malawi. I got him to come sit on my lap and I just played with him and his little gorilla toy. We talked about different types of food and we basically had the same type of food but when we told them we don’t have nsima in America, they felt so sorry for us. We asked how Miriam makes it and she told us she would give us a demonstration. She went in the kitchen and we waited until she said it was okay to come in. The kitchen was small with a stove, sink and open cabinet full of dishes and pots. Even the spoons had their last name on it just like you would see at home. She was boiling the water and slowly added maize to the water and kept stirring. Once it was thick she scooped it out into a cake shape. That’s it! She has a small garden in the backyard but they said they have a large garden that’s farther away. School is set up here differently because they have terms. On Friday their term is over and they have a month off until school starts again. I’m not sure how many breaks they have but they plan them so that they can use the month to work in their gardens.

We looked outside and saw a huge pigeon house, another sink, outhouse, and a clothes line. We also met their neighbors and they came over to greet us. My little Vincent didn’t leave my side. We came back inside and Vincent hopped right back on my lap. Macdonald told us this was the first time Americans had come to his house. We felt so honored! He asked if we had weddings in America and we told his yes and he asked that we invite him to our wedding ceremony in America!!! We decided we better start leaving so we said goodbye to the children, but Miriam, the twins and Macdonald walked us out. Vincent stood up so proud and held my hand down the road. The neighborhood kids walked by and yelled “Hey Vinny” but he didn’t even turn around. I’m sure they were giving him a hard time!

Miriam told me that she works until about 1pm everyday and then comes home to do laundry and mom things. Miriam and the twins only walked half way so it was time to say goodbye to my little Vinny and he didn’t want to leave. Miriam said he wanted to come with me! He started bursting into tears and his mom took him home. Broke my heart.

We got back to our room and told them about our afternoon with Macdonald. The entire group was there sitting all afternoon just killing time before the dinner party tonight. Krista and I were glad we visited Macdonald today instead of just sitting around all afternoon. I was the last one to present my chapter, so the VT girls went outside and I talked about some key points from Chapter 6 which was aboutthe clergy’s involvement in politics. Definitely doesn’t interest me but I made the best of it.

I don’t think I’ve explained the dinner party yet. It’s a farewell dinner we host at the cafeteria at MIE and invite all the teachers from all 3 schools and some other important MIE and Domasi directors. Dr. Kelly arranged for nsima, cabbage and chicken to be served. Last year she ordered rice, but the chefs wouldn’t serve the nsima and they just served the rice because they wanted to keep the nsima if there was extra. Malawians get very upset if they don’t have nisma, so we didn’t order rice this year, that way we could be sure they would serve the nsima. The dinner is a celebration and a thank you for their hospitality during our stay. We know we cause quite a disruption to their classrooms, so we want to do something special for the teachers. Since the dinner started at 5:30pm at MIE, there was no point in leaving; we just stayed the whole afternoon.

Apparently last year at the dinner the group was asked to sing a song from America so we needed to practice this afternoon and be prepared to sing tonight. We quickly learned the words to “God Bless America” and even though we didn’t sound very good, we knew they would be thrilled either way so we didn’t stress about it.

Radford and NC A& T had gotten gifts from their school so everyone got to have a little photo shoot with their new Malawian outfits.

Finally we headed over to the cafeteria early to greet out guests as they arrived. I wasn’t prepared for how much fun this dinner was going to be. I felt like all my friends were there! It was all the familiar faces I had been seeing for the past 3 weeks. While I didn’t know most of their names, I still knew at least what school they were from. I hadn’t realized how many people we had come in contact with until the room filled up with over 90 people. People were coming from very far to get here and everyone was dressed up in their finest outfits, coats, ties, fancy shoes and even little purses. This was a very big deal. Some of the teachers wore VT sweatshirts and/or Radford shirts. I really wished I had brought more VT t-shirts or anything with the logo. Since our school is sponsoring so many Malawi students and they always ask us our reason for being here, I think we should shower them with more VT goodies.

I saw Innocent (the one who taught me drum lessons at Malemia) and he was wearing his VT sweatshirt, and I also saw Gertrude (Lauren and Sarah's teacher) and Teddy came on a bike taxi. He told us his wife couldn’t come because she had to stay home to take care of the little ones. He doesn’t work at any of the 3 schools anymore but he knew from previous years about the party, so he asked Dr. Kelly if he could still come. Haha. I don’t blame them, it’s a free meal. Teddy asked for Dr. Kelly, Patti and me to come next to him because he wanted to present us with gifts. He insisted on one person standing next to him while he presented the gift and wanted another person to take “snaps” of the interaction. Dr. Kelly went first, and he held the gift while he explained that he wanted to thank us for coming to his village and wanted to make sure we never forgot about him. He said the exact same speech to all three of us, but it was very important to do it individually. I could tell he had planned out the entire little ceremony in his head, so we were sure to follow his instructions. I think he was pleased with how it went. As this was happening, people were all around us greeting others and walking in, but it was so funny how Teddy had his little bubble around him to do his presentation of gifts. He’s a hoot and I just love him to death! He also gave me a little gift to take home with me to give to Katie! The gifts he gave us all were little wooden carved birds with our names. So ugly, but so very special and I will display it proudly!

Next Macdonald arrived looking very handsome in a suit and tie with his friend. (Everyone was allowed to bring one guest) We assumed he was going to bring his wife as his guest, but since she got an invitation because she works at the Demonstration school, she came separately and brought a friend too. I guess the opportunity to get 4 free meals instead of 2 was worth finding another guest. They didn’t even come in together. The Shriffs are just too funny, they are such a cute couple.

Krista saved me a seat next to Macdonald, his guest and Miriam and her guest so we could all sit together. I asked about my little Vinny and Miriam said he is okay now but this afternoon he was so sad. She said he wanted to come with me. Next to me was a lady named Kathy who teaches 1st grade at Domasi Demonstration School. She spoke fondly of Liz, Brian and Niki. She was very silly and I enjoyed laughing with her!

The guests got in line to eat first and then our group followed. There was a little bit of rice this year and I saw that Kathy got rice instead of nsima. She is the first Malawian I’ve met that prefers rice. They were out of rice when I got in line, but I was okay with nsima because I had already had it early this afternoon and I guess I’m growing fonder of it the longer I stay here.

Malawians eat with there fingers and it’s rare to see them use silverware. However they set out silverware for us to use. A man sitting across from Krista basically insisted that she try using her hands because Malawians just don’t use silverware. Krista was a good sport (I don’t think he was really giving her a choice) and he showed her to make a ball out of it and then dip it in some meat juice. The table loved it when Krista ate with her fingers but all of us cringed because we knew how dirty her hands were from greeting so many people. The Malawians told her she was a “true Malawian” now. Since I was sitting next to her I was terrified they were going to make me to it, but I started a conversation with Kathy so I couldn’t be asked. The lady sitting across from me was the tongue lady from earlier this afternoon!! We had a moment and made our tongue noise together, I love her she’s such a jolly and happy lady!

Dr. Kelly was the MC of the night and she started by introducing the VT students. Dr. Jones introduced the Radford students and Brian and Niki introduced themselves. It takes a lot of time and its something that wouldn’t be important at home, but here you introduce everyone by their name and you always stand up. Next the head teachers from the 3 schools introduced their teachers who were here tonight.

While I don’t know everyone, I felt like I at least recognized ¾ of the people in the room. So as people would be introduced and stand, we cheered for the ones we knew! Our section of the table was the loudest! Macdonald and Miriam were basically friends with everyone.( After all, he is social chair!) We cheered and make the tongue noise for all our friends. Krista and I felt like we were at the table with the cool kids!!

Macdonald was introduced last for the Government school and his acceptance was very grand! He stood up and waved his arms proudly as if he was making a president speech. Priceless! I really felt the sense of community in the room. Most people knew other teachers from different schools and everyone is happy and such fun people to be around! I had a blast!

After everyone was introduced Patti stood up to talk about the Chibale Project. Each year they are surprised we come back and remember them. So it was important for us to get through to them that we are here to stay and keep a lasting relationship. Patti explained that to them by telling them this is a long term project. Their faces lit up with excitement!

Dr. Kelly asked if anyone would like to speak, and the MIE director stood up to thank us and told us to “have a nice journey back to America”. I don’t know why, but that sounds so much more genuine than “have a safe trip” and many Malawians told us that all night long.

The last part of the night was to sing “God Bless America”. We all stood up in the front and somehow I unintentionally go in the front row. Krista got Macdonald to video tape us. We started singing and a handful of the Malawian teachers got out of their seats and pulled out their disposable or film cameras to take pictures of us. I had to bit my tongue and it took everything out of me not to burst out laughing. Between Macdonald videotaping and everyone taking pictures it just cracked me up. Something about their demeanor makes me laugh and Amy and Alicia saw me trying to hold it together and then they couldn’t stop either. So “God Bless America” started off okay but by the end of it we just all burst out laughing. I should not have been in the front row. Charles and the TALULAR man also say funny comments that just crack me up. They are so cute. I saw the 6B teacher and he was wearing some very Malawian printed pants! He just cracks me up too.

We walked back to our chairs and they were just raving about our singing asking for more. Hahah How embarrassing! It was time to go so we took some quick group photos and said our goodbyes. Macdonald promised to email us soon.

Macdonald actually brought the photos of the hugs from class today. I can’t believe he developed them this quickly. Krista and I didn’t get any of those photos on our cameras so we really wanted to keep the photos and/or the negatives. Macdonald just brought them to show us but we asked if we could have the negatives and he was happy to give them to us!

We all got on the bus and headed back to Annie’s in the pitch black. Everyone just kept talking about what a great day today was. I know I’ve said this many times, but today was another one of my very favorite days here!

We gave Charles the watermelon from today but we later learned that Malawians don’t really like watermelon. Oh well, maybe he will find someone who likes it.

It felt so weird getting back after 7pm when we are used to being at Annie’s by 5:30am. It’s going to be so weird adjusting to time at home. We are used to it getting dark around 5pm but at home it won’t get dark until around 9pm. That’s going to mess me up.

I spent the night blogging about the day and then realized I needed to start packing. I packed an entire suitcase full of souvenirs tonight and decided I’d pack my 2nd suitcase of my personal belongings in the morning since I stayed up until 1 am packing, I better go to bed!

No comments: