Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Vision Gardens in Kenya

While we were visiting Freedom Gardens in Lilongwe, there was a man from Kenya staying for about 12 days to learn about the garden and try to bring the concept to his home in Kenya. This man had been to VT this past semester for some type of program and worked with Dr. Kelly. I enjoyed talking to him about VT and his stay in Lilongwe. He collected everyones email address and promised to keep in touch.  A couple weeks after we left Lilongwe we all got the following email.  Promising to keep in touch meant he would be asking for money.  Typical Malawian way!

"Dear All,

Greetings from Kenya. Just to let you know that I am back in Nairobi. Already doing some thinking and planning about the garden project. I intend to call it-Vision Gardens. As I had promised when we met at the Freedom Gardens, Lilongwe, Malawi, I will always keep in touch and in me you have a great friend in Kenya. I also intend to make you founding friends of vision gardens although I will need your confirmation. As a founder friend, your names will be inscribed on the foundation blocks and bricks of Vision Gardens and will form an integral component of the gardens history. But for one to become a founding friend of the garden one is expected to make some financial contribution which will go into the initial investments of making the garden the best of its kind. This will be an immense contribution in building lives of the rural folk in Kenya. Incase of further information or enquiries, kindly let me know. I hope you are enjoying your stay in Malawi. My stay was excellent and very enriching indeed. Best wishes always & please keep in touch."

No comments: