Thursday, June 19, 2008

Already feeling the warm welcome!

I really need to stop blogging and finish packing and organizing my life before I leave. Right now, its so exhausting preparing for this trip, that I’m just ready to leave now. I’m sick of preparing and getting ready, I’d rather just go!

I heard back from the Girl Guides! “Thank you very much for your e-mail and especially your trip to Malawi. We are looking forward to welcoming you here in the Warm Heart of Africa.” When I first arrive in Malawi and stop in Lilongwe, they will be preparing for their Annual General Meeting but they said when I’m in Lilongwe to leave on July 17th, that would be the perfect time to visit the Lilongwe Guide Unit, meet the international commissioner and the Chief Commissioner. I don’t know anything about Girl Guides but those titles sound very important. I need to do some research before hand….

I have been emailing Jean and she has been helping me understand the education system in Malawi. Turns out her sister is a Phd. student in South Africa but happens to be in Malawi on research. (Perfect timing!) She has published articles and is very knowledgeable about the education system in Malawi. We are going to try and arrange to meet so that she can help us learn more about the education in Malawi. She will be a wealth of information! This is what her sister briefly said about situation there.

"There are three public examinations that children have to take. first one is the Primary School Leaving Certificate of Education (PSLCE) in std 8, second is Junior Certificate of Education (JCE) in form 2 and the last is Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE) in form four. The problem of underperformance in malawi is not only during these examinations but it is found throughout the whole school system. The achievement levels in literacy and numeracy are below regional and international levels. for example a high proportion of children reach grade 5 without attaining the basic literacy and nueracy competencies i.e. they can't read or write and do numerical computations. The big issue is to do with quality - large classes, lack of teaching and learning materials and shortage of teachers in rural schools. I hope this helps."

I stopped by Jeans house tonight to pick up some things from her daughter to bring to Jean in Malawi. My mom and I talked to her for 45 minutes! We kept asking questions and wouldn't leave her alone! ha They consider Fairfax their home, but growing up they spent all their summers in Malawi. She was so nice and I enjoyed talking to her. She said she didn't want to ruin my trip, but that I'll be surprised how small Malawi really is because her mom knows just about everyone in town! Her family is very involved! When she goes to Malawi and the Malawians find out she is from Washington DC, they are surprised that she lives in such a dangerous area. It's funny because so many people associate danger and violence with Africa but they think that our home is a dangerous place.

I am so excited to meet Jean and her family!

1 comment:

roland lazenby said...

Wow, Lexi, this is impressive. I just saw Krista's, but you have a head start on her.
I can't wait to read more about your big adventure. This will be a great example for my media writing classes this fall. You two are helping me teach!

Thanks so much.

Roland