Saturday, June 7, 2008

Whats on my mind

When I was first thinking about studying abroad and I was considering Europe, Australia, or New Zealand and my mom said she would want to come visit me. When Africa became a possibility my mom said she would not be visiting me. Haha She just read her favorite post “My Mom Knows People” (she gets a big kick out of that!) and she told me she wishes she was going with me! She is so excited about the connection she found me through Mr. M and said she would love to come with me next time I go. She’s changed her mind and I haven’t even left yet!

My brother on the other hand cannot believe I have started a blog and he is very disappointed with me. I didn’t know he had such strong feelings against blogging. Haha That’s Chris for ya…

My dad is making fun of my blog but I know he will eventually read parts of it when I’m in Africa. I’ll have to add pictures to keep his attention. He told me that the word “blog” came from “web log”. They just combined the “B” with the “log.” Random fact from my dad!

My camcorder came in the mail the other day. My goal this weekend is to play with it and get comfortable with the equipment and make sure it loads to my computer okay.

Last night I visited with a family friend who went to Ghana last summer to teach for two weeks. I loved hearing about his trip and he had some helpful hints for me. He had some amazing pictures and gave me some heads up about what to expect when I’m teaching. He said it’s very important to speak slowly so that they can understand me and warned me that they are very religious. He had pictures of stores that said, “Glory to God Fitting Shop.”

My neighbor’s daughter went to Malawi a couple years ago to visit her friend who was in the Peace Corp in Malawi. She had a wonderful trip and enjoyed the safaris but on her last day she got very sick. She ended up being sick for 3 weeks after she got home. She saw lots of doctors but they never found out exactly what illness she had. It could have been the food but she had eaten that shrimp meal many times before. Her dad still recommended that I stay away from shrimp. He also told me that if I see an ostrich to stay still and not run. First off, they can out run anyone and they have bad eyesight so if I’m still they won’t even see me. Haha I am having so much fun talking to all these people who have been to Africa and listening to their advice and stories. ☺

When talking with my parents last night, it dawned on my to find out if Malawi has anyone going to the Olympics. That would be something really cool to explain and teach to the kids. It would be fun to get them excited about their country being represented! I’ll google it tonight.

Krista and I have been emailing each other nonstop about anything and everything that comes to our minds, but this past week we finally got to sit down and chat. We are both feeling overwhelmed, stressed and that there is not enough time in the day to get ready for this trip. Our lists just keep getting longer and longer. And we both want to prepare and bring the perfect teaching supplies but its just so hard to know what they will understand. But we talked about everything; traveling, weather, clothing, supplies, teaching, medicine and I felt better after catching up! I feel like we are on the same page with everything. We are splitting up some supplies and she actually got a bulk order of inflatable globes for the schools! I’m going to work on getting lifelong flashlights and some first aid supplies.

This past week I also went to my bank to take out my spending money for the trip. It had to be in cash, crisp and large bills and all printed after 2000. That makes it easier for changing it to a different currency. Malawi uses Kwacha's and $1 is worth about 139 Kwachas. I also called the bank center to get approval for international spending. That way the bank is prepared to see my debit card being used across the world and won't be alarmed.

I can’t believe I’ll be on the airplane in 14 days. That’s so soon! The book we are supposed to read before our trip is a difficult read and I’m having trouble making myself read it. I go back and forth each day about this trip. Most people are excited for me and encourage me to bring all type of supplies, but then I also talk to people who explain to me that they need all type of supplies and I shouldn’t waste my money buying things because in the long run the little bit that I bring won’t make a difference. I need to stick to a theme and bring just school supplies. And should I bring pictures of my “wealthy” family and friends? Some tell me it’s a great idea and they will enjoy it but others say they don’t need to know anything about me. Should I bring a gift for the adults or is the gift of our visit enough? I get so many different suggestions and opinions and it’s very hard to figure out what I believe. I understand the different points of view about this subject. I think each perspective has its own valid points. I'm hoping when I go to Malawi it will be more clear for me. I think I’m in over my head…

But like my mom just said, its all about your attitude, is the glass half full or half empty? Of course the supplies won’t end poverty, but they will put a smile on the children’s faces and “bring hope” to their future. That’s enough for me.

No comments: