Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Travel Day 2- We are in Malawi!

I woke up early and took a shower. I was really pleased because I had warm water and very good pressure. I was absolutely scared to death of getting water in my mouth- I don’t think I have ever closed my mouth so tight. The shower felt great and I was ready to get to Malawi!! We opened our window and looked outside- a lot different in the daylight. It definitely looked like a 3rd world country. We could hear the Muslim call to prayer over the loud speakers. People were just walking all over the roads. No one was smiling, happy or socializing. And most of the buildings looked abandoned. As we were packing the maid came in to our room and made sure we didn’t forget everything. We tried talking to her but she didn’t understand much. She was 20 just like us and said she would probably marry when she was 28. Next we went down for breakfast. Once again I didn’t eat anything except the bread. I’ve decided I have to see the steam from the heat or else I won’t eat it. Everyone else does, but I’m to scared.

We got on the bus and headed for the airport. This time we really got to see more of the city. Everyone was out and about walking. Some women were completely covered, some were partly covered and others weren’t covered at all. Rarely did I see anyone carrying anything with them, most people were just walking by themselves, no bags or belongings. The nicest buildings were the religious buildings. Overall, it was just a very sad feeling. I didn’t notice any sense of pride for their country or joy of life. I know it must be hard to find something to be happy about, but in Lilongwe, they didn’t have much more then Addis but I noticed the people are friendly, goofy and approachable.

We made it to the airport I couldn’t believe that the security didn’t make you take off your shoes, didn’t care about any liquids or water, didn’t care about laptops and we were the only ones in line. It was nice for us, but at the same time it was scary how little security they have.

The flight from Addis to Lilongwe went smoothly. I saved all my People magazines from the last 4 weeks, so I finally caught up on my gossip! I’ve been really impressed with how well Ethiopian Airlines has treated us. They have taken good care of us!

We landed in Lilongwe and we were so glad that we won’t have to get on an airplane again for a couple weeks! The next big scare was finding our luggage that we checked at Dulles 2 days ago. Would it all make it?? YES! I honestly can’t believe it, but everyone’s luggage made it! Next we had to go through customs and Dr. Kelly told us that they were going to search through our luggage and we had to tell them that all of our supplies were for personal use, because if we told them we were going to donate them, they would try and charge us. So we all knew the plan but Dr. Kelly and her savvy ways got us all through the gate without having anything checked. I also got a Malawi stamp on my passport!!

Next we went outside and waited for our bus. The bus came and the bus driver (Charles) came and gave Dr. Kelly a huge hug! It was really neat to witness their reunion and I could see the friendship they have and how excited they were to be reunited! We packed in our luggage in the back and then packed ourselves in the front. It was a very full bus. They drive on the left side of the road. We were on our way to the hotel. The drive was really great to see the land of Malawi. Its very flat and there are trees everywhere. They kind of looked like trees from The Lion King- very different than anything at home. I don’t see any shelter for miles and miles yet there are a ton of Malawians on the side of the streets. Some are selling things; others are walking or carrying supplies. Every once and a while there’s a bike or two. Some look at our bus, some don’t but if you make eye contact with them and smile they always smile back! Especially the children, they like to wave and give a thumbs up! Finally we were getting closer to the city, more buildings and people. Some of the buildings are VERY nice. Large, brand new 4-5 levels with windows and beautiful landscaping. I have no idea what the buildings are used for. But there’s also the opposite just like Ethiopia with old, run down abandoned shacks. I am so impressed with the posture of the Africans, they carry all type of things on their head!

We made it to our lodge. It’s called Korea Garden Lodge. Weird I know! Guess what! We go there this afternoon and they didn’t have any power! Yikes! The workers were busy at work trying to fix it. I think electricity might be an ongoing issue for us. The rooms looked just fine. The beds are as hard as rocks but that’s okay. They have mosquito nets over the beds, TV, and Internet! We only had a couple hours left of light so we all decided to drop off our stuff and head into town before it got dark. We are quite a site to see, 18 Americans walking in Africa. I know they see groups like us all the time because most people didn’t even pay attention to us. Our first stop was the bank and of course market sellers were outside the bank waiting to sell us stuff after we got our Kwachas. I got $100 worth of Kwatchas- the actual bill is beautiful-very colorful! We stopped and talked with the venders and one of the men told me his name was James Bond 008. I told him I was very excited to meet such an important person! We played around with each other joking for a little until we headed to the next stop- the grocery store. It had basically everything a grocery store should have. Most of the brands I recognized and I didn’t really notice anything special. Just different boxes or labels. It was a very basic and typical store. Most of us stocked up on water for the next couple of days. We can buy bottled water at the hotel but it’s cheaper at the store. Finally we stopped at the local market to take a look at the crafts. They said not to buy anything but just look and get a feel for what it will be like. The market in Zomba will be much cheaper and has the exact same crafts. I want everything! It’s all very beautiful wood and I love the designs. Nothing there is just random craft with “Africa” sketched on it like some markets in Haiti or Jamaica. Very unique crafts. Guess who I ran into again, James Bond 008! We are pals! I was wearing my VT maroon effect shirt and on the back it says “ small town, big sound” and one of the vendors LOVED my shirt. I explained to him that I go to college in a small town, but when we have football games we cheer and make a big sound- he got a big kick out of that and laughed! He told me to bring back the shirt to bargain with because he wants it. I don’t know if I want to do that because they probably don’t sell more 2007 shirts, but I might because he really loved it. He told me to come back and see him, his name was chicken legs! Hahaha The venders had such great personalities and I really enjoyed talking with them. It wasn’t all about “making a deal” they were willing to talk about other things. It the long run, it was probably their way of trying to make a deal, but I enjoyed interacting with them. They welcomed us to their country and wanted to make sure we loved Malawi “100%.” Overall, everyone said that its very similar to home, everything is very civilized. They have banks, grocery stores, and almost any type of store just like us. They do have Celtel booths throughout the town where people can buy cards to make phone cards. I guess it’s a way of having cellular service. I don’t really understand??

It was getting dark so we needed to head back to the lodge. We saw a gas station and gas was about 250 Kwachas, which is about $2.75- still way cheaper than at home! Everyone was very hungry and ready for some dinner. Thankfully the power was back on when we got back! The hotel has a very nice open dining area by the garden and pool. It’s very peaceful and relaxing. The hotel served Chinese food. It was excellent, and the food was hot when it came out so I was happy! We weren’t sure, but we thought we were heard some country music as we were eating Chinese food in Africa… tell me that’s a little strange! Everyone was anxious to finish dinner and use the Internet since we haven’t had contact with anyone since we left. Krista and I have spent the rest of the night blogging! Its taking me forever and I know I’m including way to much detail that I know no one wants to read, but I’d rather write everything down and have it as a memory for later!

We have 4 advisors, Dr. Kelly from VT, and two ladies from Radford and one from NC. Jennifer and Patty are from Radford and Jennifer has been on this trip 4 times but its Patty’s first. She’s learning the ropes. Liz has taught at VT, Radford but is now at NC. She has also been on this trip many times. I am having so much fun with the advisors and the students. The advisors are a great resource to ask questions because they have been here so many times. They introduced themselves by their first name and it’s a very informal relationship. They are so relaxed and confident, I feel so comfortable with them.

So far I am loving every minute of it! The first day or so I was feeling like I was about to get a cold and I was really nervous I was going to get sick but two other girls were feeling the same way. After sleeping a full night in a real bed, I feel a lot better and I’m ready to go! I just have to make sure to get plenty of rest each night. I hadn’t really set my mind up for what to except, but I’m not really surprised by anything yet. It’s exactly what I thought Africa would look like. Flying in I thought we would see some wildlife but it was just miles and miles of flat land and trees- the soil is so red because it’s the dry season. So I’m really looking forward to seeing some animals. I’m enjoying meeting the locals and I can’t wait for tomorrow- Freedom Gardens!

I’ve kept my watch time the same as home- its sort of a comfort thing for me to be able to look at my watch and think about what everyone is doing at home. But sometimes it messes me up and I think about switching it. But time is not a very big deal here, so I’d really like to keep it as home time. I know, its silly.

The weather at night is very chilly! During the day I was comfortable in Capri’s and a long sleeve shirt. Today it was very cloudy. Krista tried to upload pictures tonight and she said it was just too slow. We will try in Annie’s Lodge, but pictures might have to wait until we get home.

It’s really hard to believe I’m in Africa!!! It’s been great so far and I just get more excited each day!! I’m glad we can unpack a little and get comfortable before we leave for Zomba in a couple days. The traveling is over and now our sightseeing can begin!

2 comments:

PattiP said...

Yeah, Lexi! You made it! You have internet access!! You are having fun! All good things!
One thing I can't figure out on this blog is why I show up as a "contributor" and other people do not. I will ask your mom tonight when I see her at book club. A beautiful day here in Fairfax but I always say "a bad day on vacation is better than a good day at home" so you aren't missing anything. I am really enjoying your notes - keep it up!

Anonymous said...

sounds like everything's great!

Just a note on the Phone thing:

There are few landlines to many homes, so cellular service is what is commonly used. The cards that they sell in the booth are pre-paid phone cards. They can be inserted into any phone and the minutes are gradually used up. Because not everybody has a proper mailing adress, the phone companies cannot send bills, so the pre-paid system is the most workable solution.

Ben explained that to me when I was over there.

Well, have fun at the markets and stay safe!

-Clayton