Monday, June 2, 2008

Meetings

Meeting with Dr. Kelly

In March Dr. Kelly arranged a meeting with the VT students going to Malawi. There are actually 7 of us. Some of the other schools didn’t get 5 students, so VT was able to fill their spots! Go Hokies!!

Dr. Kelly started off by explaining to us what paperwork we needed to fill out. The University required emergency contact forms, insurance forms etc. The VT International Cranwell Center actually requires a $22 insurance that covers some health and travel emergencies. I went to the center and got my ID card made. $22 is a deal!

We also talked about vaccines. (I already knew this information since I went to the travel Dr. in Jan) We are required to bring copies of our vaccine records with us. The required vaccines for Malawi are Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, Polio, Measles, Tetanus-diphtheria, Chicken-pox and pills for Malaria.

We also talked about packing. Two bags of 50 pounds each is the limit. The carry on can be 15 pounds with one personal bag. She suggested packing about 8 days worth of clothes since we will have access to laundry facilities at our lodge. At the schools we are required to wear skirts that cover our knees but other days we can wear pants. We cannot wear shorts. She suggested bringing 2 pairs of comfortable walking shoes. No sandals! Dr. Kelly also said to bring anti-bacterial wipes instead of gel, because your hands will be so dirty you want to wipe off the germs not rub them around.

She said it’s important to bring an adapter and transformer for British outlet and a flashlight. And bring money for spending and food. She highly suggested bringing crackers, peanut butter etc. We will be hungry and want “normal” snacks. Malawi's peanut butter isn't what we are used to so she said most US students prefer to bring their own jar. It must be packed in the checked luggage b/c it's considered a gel. Dr. Kelly said to pack sandwich bags to take our lunch with us to the schools. We bring lunch with us from Annie's Lodge.

She also warned us about the locals. Dr. Kelly told us how important it is not to promise them anything. They will want us to become pen pals and send them money to sponsor them.

As typical privileged girls, we were very concerned with Internet access. She said the Internet was slow and that ichat would not work. I was hoping to be able to use the camera on my computer to video chat with my parents at home. Guess not. I still might try.

We talked for a long time about what would be good supplies to bring. She encouraged anything that will last a long time. Paper and glue will run out. Posters to decorate the walls of the classroom would be a good idea like maps of Africa and/or the world. And she said games/toys that many children can play. The game Twister was a good idea. And Frisbees can usually entertain a large group of kids. Blow up globes was a great idea someone suggested.

I can’t remember what else we talked about at the meeting (This is why I wished I had blogged all along) but it was very helpful to meet before the school year was over. In April Dr. Kelly was very busy hosting visitors from Kenya, and most of us left in May. So this was our only opportunity to meet as a group and ask questions about our trip.

Meeting with Katie and Jen

Katie is my friend that went to Malawi last summer and actually got me interested in the program. When I told her I was going this summer, we both wanted to meet and talk about hints and tips she wished she had known before she went. I actually arranged a dinner with the 3 other girls going this summer and Katie brought her friend Jen who went with her last summer. I was really excited that we were all able to meet and was looking forward to hearing what they wanted to tell us!

The 4 of us had lots of questions! I thought the most helpful information Jen and Katie told us was about the colored toilet paper they have in Malawi. The ink can cause serious problems for girls. I will be bringing my own wipes/toilet paper for sure. Good to know.

They also talked about how hungry they were and encouraged us to bring lots of snacks. They suggested Tuna bags, instant oatmeal and anything that just needs water added. Jen said she actually lost 10 pounds. We will also be walking a lot throughout the day. This could be a great diet for me! The girls recommended a restaurant in town called “Tasty Bites”. They said we will come to love it and it will help us make it through the month with some American food.

I like to think that I’m an expert at haggling since I’ve been to Jamaica, Cancun, and Haiti. I usually have so much fun shopping and playing the “Price is Right” game. Haha! Jen explained that the 1st offer is usually 3 times the value of what you should pay for it. If they first offer $150, then you should only pay $50. I can’t wait to go to the markets!!

They also suggested reading the history of Malawi before we go on our trip. It really helps you understand the things you will see if you read about them first. I plan on doing that, I just hope I find enough time!!!!

Some girls last year slept on the plane the entire time and didn’t move around. It actually caused issues with their feet swelling up since the flight is soo long. They said how important it is to get up and move around at least every 2 hours. I knew that was a good idea, but hearing it from them enforces that for me. I was planning on taking a Benadryl and just passing out… but I don’t want to wake up with swollen feet so maybe that isn’t such a good idea.

Another helpful hint they talked about was the different ages for teaching. They said the little kids are adorable and you will think you want to teach their grade level but they are actually so young they don’t speak a lot of English so we would have a major language barrier. The older kids are practicing for a huge exam they have to take, so they are busy studying and preparing. Therefore you don’t have a lot of time to interact with them. Katie and Jen recommended teaching standards (Malawi’s version of grade levels) 5, 6, or 7. I’m not really sure how the selection is made, but Krista and I are co-teaching so we are hoping to get one of those levels so that we will be able to communicate with them. The girls also assured us that we can really teach them anything: songs, dances, games etc. We were getting a little stressed about not knowing what to teach but it’s nothing to be concerned about.

They also told us that there is a post office and place to develop film in town. I’m really excited about that!!! I’m going to bring addresses, so hopefully I’ll be able to send postcards. And I’m going to bring disposable cameras so that we can develop the pictures before we leave and give them to the children.

As far as supplies: they recommended bringing lifelong flashlights for the teachers in the classrooms, leaving your clothes and a small gift for the maids that take care of your room, and mostly any type of school supply would be perfect.

The girls also said that when they got home they were most looking forward to a nice long hot shower (with pressure) and THEN lots and lots of food. I have been concerned about getting sick in Malawi or when I get home, but the girls were fine and didn’t know of anyone that had gotten sick from last year.

Katie and Jen also said that your intentions are to change your ways once you come back from Africa and not ask for anything for Christmas and conserve resources, but the reality is that its very difficult to do that and you will find yourself back to normal in a couple months. I have no doubt its very easy to get back in the swing of things, but at the very least I hope that I can continue to be involved in the program and the country of Malawi in some way.

Jen brought her photo albums for us to look at, they were amazing photographs! I asked if she was a photographer, but she said she wasn’t. The photos looked professional! The scenery was breathtaking and she was able to capture some really great moments with the children. Jen is also the one that reassured me not everyone in African Studies believes the West should stay out of Africa like my professor tried to teach us.

Katie brought notes and cards from the kids and teachers in Malawi. They were absolutely precious. They adored Katie and were so thankful they got to know her. The wording and sentences they used were so special!! Something you would never read in the US.

I think that was most of the key points I learned from Katie and Jen. They were really so helpful and I’m glad we got the chance to sit down with them and ask lots of questions! They definitely helped me feel more prepared. I can’t wait to come back with amazing stories just like them!!

No comments: